Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thoughts on Sandy the Frankenstorm

I've been struck by how the news coverage of Sandy has generally failed to make a link with global warming. From what I read in Climate Progress, (one of the blogs I visit daily) this is normal in the US. I wonder if this will change in the next few days as the news of the event and its immediate aftermath give way to reflection.

This lack of a link to global warming is reflected also in the talk of the likely effects on the presidential election. One would have thought Sandy was perfectly-timed to remind people that the climate is obviously changing and that one of the two candidates has sided with those who turn a blind eye to climate science. I haven't come across any mainstream news coverage picking up on this point - only on the opportunity for Obama to appear presidential.

No comments:

Post a Comment